Kelvaragu / Ragi Puttu

I don't know why, but I like the taste of kelvaragu or ragi or finger millet very much. So last night I decided to make kelvaragu puttu for my breakfast and lunch today. Bored eating the restaurant food in Mid Valley. So I thought of bringing home cooked lunch today.

You can eat puttu with banana, it gives that lovely taste, which I really don't know how to describe. But since I haven't got any bananas with me today, I just have to eat the kelvaragu puttu plain. But doesn't matter, it still tastes fantastic. ^_^

My tummy-flattening healthy breakfast and lunch, Kelvaragu/Ragi Puttu.

Ingredients:

Rice - 1 cup
Kelvaragu / Ragi Flour - 1/2 cup
1 cup water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon  with salt
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup (You can add more if you want it sweeter)
Ghee (melted) - 1 teaspoon

Method:

1. Soak rice in plain water for 2 hours and grind the rice into flour. Alternatively, you could use grind rice flour (ready-made) from Indian stores. But I prefer making my own.

2. Mix the rice flour and kelvaragu flour and steam for about ten minutes. (You'd know that it's done steaming, when you take the flour mixture with a spoon and it gets lumped together). You can keep this mixture in the fridge and use it anytime you want to make your puttu. I made my kelvaragu puttu the next morning for breakfast and lunch.

3. Sprinkle the salt water onto the flour mixture and mix it slowly. You'd know the right time to stop adding salt water  when the flour gets firm when you press them hard. Like it lumps together.

4. I used the steamer to steam my puttu. So I sprinkled the grated  coconut on to the cloth before adding the flour mixture. Let it steam for about 15 minutes. After you're done, mix sugar and ghee and serve.

Last night:-









Today Morning :-



My Lunch :-




Comments